Saffron: All you want to know!
What is Saffron?
Saffron is a premium spice which is derived from a flower named Crocus Sativus. The stigmas of this purple coloured flower are dried to extract the spice. It is the most expensive spice in the world. It is often also referred to as Red Gold. Saffron is also known for its medicinal properties. It is often used as coloring and aromatic agent in foods.
Types of Saffron
Following are the different types of saffron:-
· Kashmir Saffron: - “Mongra” and “Lacha” are the two popular types of Kashmiri Saffron.
· Iranian Saffron: - Sargol” (All-Red saffron), “Poushal” and “Dasteh” are three major types of the Iranian Saffron.
· Spanish Saffron: - “Spanish Superior” and “Creme” are the two major types of Spanish saffron. Spanish saffron is very less popular due to its low quality.
· Greek Saffron: - “Red Saffron” is the only type of saffron available in Greece. It is popular due to its high quality color and strong flavour.
· Italian Saffron: - “Aquilla” saffron is one of the most popular and only saffron produced widely in Italy.
Why is Kashmiri Saffron considered to be superior?
· Due to its strong flavor, aroma and coloring effect.
· It is very expensive due to its lesser availability in the world.
· Kashmir has the best climatic conditions in the world to grow saffron.
· Its strands are thick in size in comparison with other countries spice.
· Kashmiri Saffron’s fragrance is incomparable to any other saffron in the world.
Types of Kashmiri Saffron
“Mongra” and “Lacha”. Mongra saffron is made from the broken stigmas of the flower. It is dark red in color and considered as one of the best saffron in the world. This saffron type is very high in demand because of its high aromatic nature and flavoring qualities.
Lacha saffron consists of long and flat dark red threads with some yellow part as its tail of the stigma of Mongra. It also contains floral waste. It is considered as the discarded or unselected quality of saffron that is a flavoring and coloring agent in many food dishes.
Why is Mongra the superior saffron?
· It is made from the broken stigmas of the flower.
· It has less floral waste.
· It is dark red in color.
· It has high flavoring capabilities.
· It has powerful coloring quality.
How to differentiate between Original & Fake Saffron?
· Taste: Real saffron is always bitter and pungent. It is never sweet. If it tastes sweet, it is probably fake saffron.
· Aroma: Real saffron is very distinct in its aroma. If it does not have aroma, it is fake. If very less aroma, then probably poor quality or not fresh. Normally, real saffron will have the blend smell of hay, tobacco and honey.
· With Water: If original saffron is put into the water, the water will turn honey-yellow in color after 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, it will turn into light orange. If it is fake, then water will turn yellow instantly. Besides, real saffron never loses its color even if it is kept in water.
· Finger test: If you rub genuine saffron between wet fingers, then it will leave its red/ orange color on the fingers.
· Color: The pure saffron has same color (probably red) with little yellow from the tail. It does not have any other color. Genuine saffron thread cannot have yellow color in whole.
· Price: The fake saffron will be sold at less than average rate.
8. Health benefits of saffron
Saffron is rich in plant compounds that act as antioxidants, such as crocin, crocetin, safranal, and kaempferol. Antioxidants help protect your cells against oxidative stress.
Study show that the stigma of saffron plant has some unbelievable antidepressant properties. The presence of two elements in saffron viz. crocin and safranal can effectively aid in nurturing neurochemicals like dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. These elements present in saffron can treat low to mild depression. In fact, it is included in traditional psychiatric medication.
Increases sexual drive:
Augumented with the goodness of nature, Saffron has been used for treating age related impotency..
Reduces blood pressure and improves heart health
Loaded with the goodness of potassium, consuming saffron everyday helps in dilating the blood, which further removes blockage from the arteries. This further reduces blood pressure and prevents heart attacks and strokes.
Studies have shown that saffron helps in improving memory and cognitive thinking especially associated with aging. It also helps in curbing Parkinsons disease.
Due to its anti- inflammatory properties, saffron helps in improving cardiovascular health in people of all ages. It also lowers inflammation in the lungs.
End Note: At Rind Posh, we guarantee laboratory tested best quality saffron from Kashmir farms. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 91-9711886970